5 days until Christmas
Melanie Bennett Jacobson is an avid reader, amateur cook, and champion shopper. She consumes astonishing amounts of chocolate, chick flicks, and romance novels. After meeting her husband online, she is now living happily married in Southern California with her growing family and a series of doomed houseplants. Melanie is a former English teacher who loves to laugh and make others laugh. In her down time (ha!), she writes romantic comedies for Covenant and maintains her humorous slice-of-life blog. Her fourth novel, Smart Move, hit shelves in October.
* * * * *
LDSWBR: Do you top your Christmas tree with a star, angel, or something else? Does it have special meaning to you?
MELANIE: We have an angel on top of our tree. I just couldn’t find a star that was simple enough, but now we have an angel I really love and the kids love seeing it up there.
LDSWBR: What is your favorite Christmas movie? Why is it your favorite?
MELANIE: Elf! We just have so much fun watching it as a family. It’s one of the few movies I don’t get sick of watching over and over, and we watch it the first Sunday after Thanksgiving so it kicks off our Christmas season.
LDSWBR: What Christmas gift have you been most excited to give?
MELANIE: I was really excited to give my husband a wood turning lathe. It’s turned into a passion for him over the last four yeas and now I have lots of beautiful wood bowls decorating my home.
LDSWBR: Thanks, Melanie!
* * * * *
Purchase Smart Move:
The spark was undeniable the night Sandy Burke met the devastatingly handsome Jake. Conversation had flowed easily, so after they’d parted, she’d waited eagerly for his call. It never came. A high-powered career woman at the ripe old age of twenty-seven, Sandy feels she has had her heart broken one too many times, and now the redheaded trendsetter is facing a major quarter-life crisis. After some introspection, Sandy determines that helping others may be the key to helping herself. When she’s presented with a job offer in Washington DC as the director of New Horizons, a nonprofit organization benefiting women in poverty, it seems providential.
But now that she’s moved, two major obstacles threaten the success of her first assignment. The first is her mother and her constant fog of less-than-helpful New-Age advice. Secondly, plans to build another New Horizons outreach center have come to a screeching halt, thanks to the interference of a pesky lawyer and his attempts to reverse zoning approval for the building project. After weeks of verbal sparring over the phone, Sandy is in for a shock when she comes face-to-face with her foe. The smooth voice at the other end of the line is a heart wrenching blast from the past.
In this twist of fate, Sandy sees the perfect opportunity to ensure the success of the outreach center—and to enact a little payback on this man she thought she’d left behind. And so the battle of wits begins. Will Sandy’s ‘flirt-to-convert’ plot sway her nemesis’s determination to block the center, or will his charming and undeniably attractive ways convince the sassy redhead to give love a second chance?
What homemade gift holds a special place in your heart?
* * * * *
To enter the LDSWBR Countdown to Christmas 2012, leave a thoughtful comment below.
Be sure to comment on each Countdown to Christmas 2012 post for more chances to win. Please click through to the website as only comments submitted directly on this post will be accepted.
Prizes include a $50 Amazon gift card and the author-donated books listed below. This is raffle-style drawing where all entries throughout the contest period are entered into the same “hat” for all prizes. US only. 18 years and older please. See all contest rules and restrictions below.
If you don’t already follow LDSWBR through email, Facebook or Twitter (those cute little book buttons on the sidebar) you may want to consider doing so during the contest so you don’t miss any posts or chances to enter the drawing. Following LDSWBR is not required but it is nice to know that our book reviews are useful to other readers.
If one of our LDSWBR reviews has ever helped you find a book you enjoyed, perhaps you would consider helping us spread the word about the LDSWBR Countdown to Christmas 2012. A link posted to your friends and family either in email or on your favorite social network would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks!
By leaving a comment and entering the Countdown to Christmas 2012, you agree to the contest rules below:
**NOTE: Deadline for commenting and entering has been extended to Midnight December 25, 2012 Mountain Time.**
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY; entrants must be 18 years or older; open to residents of continental US only; giveaway begins December 3, 2012 and all entries must be received by 12:00 Midnight December 25, 2012 Mountain Time; to enter, complete the required entry on each post and any additional entries of your choice if listed; LDS Women’s Book Review reserves the right to determine what is considered a thoughtful comment as per each posts required entry; giveaway prizes include a $50 Amazon gift card and a variety of book prizes donated by featured authors; the number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning; LDS Women’s Book Review is not liable for technical problems which may affect entry into the giveaway; winner identity will be verified by email address; winner will be selected December 27, 2012 by use of a sequence generator on random.org; winner will have until January 3, 2013 to claim their prize; if any prize winner forfeits or does not claim prize, prize will be re-awarded to next winner in sequence; all prizes will be awarded; limit of two prizes per entrant; this contest/giveaway is not associated with Facebook, Twitter or any other entity unless otherwise specified; by entering the giveaway you give LDS Women’s Book Review the right to publicize your name on the LDS Women’s Book Review blog; winner agrees to release LDS Women’s Book Review from any liability as a result of winning; email comments & questions to LDS Women’s Book Review – ldswbr (at) gmail (dot) com; giveaway subject to Utah regulations; VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
Book Prizes (as of December 20, 2012 – more to be added to this list!)
- Tres Leches Cupcakes by Josi S. Kilpack (signed paperback copy)
- Not Your Average Fairy Tale by Chantele Sedgwick (paperback or ebook)
- Deadly Undertakings by Gregg Luke (personalized paperback)
- Turning Pages by Tristi Pinkston (personalized paperback)
- Athena by Heather B. Moore (autographed paperback)
- The Kindling by Braden Bell (paperback, signed if desired)
- Sudden Darkness by Margot Hovley (personalized paperback)
- Code Word by Traci Hunter Abramson (paperback)
- The Reluctant Bachelorette by Rachael Anderson (ebook)
- The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back by Sariah Wilson (ebook- PDF/.mobi)
- Lady Outlaw by Stacy Henrie (signed paperback)
- A Note Worth Taking by Lu Ann Staheli (Kindle)
- When Hearts Conjoin by Lu Ann Staheli (paperback)
- Paige by Annette Lyon (signed paperback)
- All Fall Down by Julie Coulter Bellon (personalized paperback)
- Smart Move by Melanie Jacobson (signed & personalized paperback)
Previous Countdown to Christmas 2012 posts:
- 22 days until Christmas: Tres Leches Cupcakes by Josi S. Kilpack
- 21 days until Christmas: Not Your Average Fairy Tale by Chantele Sedgwick
- 20 days until Christmas: Deadly Undertakings by Gregg Luke
- 19 days until Christmas: Turning Pages by Tristi Pinkston
- 18 days until Christmas: Athena by Heather B. Moore
- 17 days until Christmas: The Kindling by Braden Bell
- 16 days until Christmas: Sunday – no post
- 15 days until Christmas: An Unlikely Match by Sarah M. Eden
- 14 days until Christmas: Sudden Darkness by Margot Hovley
- 13 days until Christmas: After Hello by Lisa Mangum
- 12 days until Christmas: Code Word by Traci Hunter Abramson
- 11 days until Christmas: The Reluctant Bachelorette by Rachael Anderson
- 10 days until Christmas: The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back by Sariah Wilson
- 9 days until Christmas: Lady Outlaw by Stacy Henrie
- 8 days until Christmas: A Note Worth Taking by Lu Ann Staheli
- 7 days until Christmas: Paige by Annette Lyon
- 6 days until Christmas: All Fall Down by Julie Coulter Bellon